I found a recipe for caramelised onion in delicious magazine recently and it was so good.
However I didn't get to use it all for the original recipe so I wondered how I could use it.
I decided to use it in a brown rice salad of my own. I am trying to lose weight and find the right diet/lifestyle change because I am too much of a foodie to cope with a restrictive diet and plain bland foods. Also I don't believe in calorie control as life is too short to do math every time I eat. I am going to try and practice portion control. Therefore I am trying the whole gluten free/ food combining rules, as when I went meat free and gluten free I lost some weight, however I went back to eating meat, which is ok if you just have a little but fell of the gluten free diet.
Anyway here are the ingredients;
- Caremelised onion ( it's kind of like a sweet chutney, I am sure you can find your own recipe on the internet, or google it on the delicious magazine website, or buy it if you really can't be bothered).
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/8th shredded red cabbage
- 8 leaves of kale finely chopped
- 1/4 of a large cucumber finely diced
- 2 small chili's finely chopped and diced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- black pepper to taste
- Large handful of coriander, chopped
Basically all you have to do is mix everything together, you can add more chili's if you want it hotter. It's a great simple salad that you can add other ingredients to or adjust. You can add more of the greens or cabbage if you wish.